Housing Assistance

Once known as "Emergency Housing" the Basic Needs Department has renamed this program as Housing Assistance to capture the departments' efforts in expanding housing services available to the UCR student community. Below are the current services the department is able to offer to students during their academic career. 


Housing Navigation

provides assistance to housing insecure students by connecting with the BN Housing Specialist to develop a housing plan, identify barriers and explore possible resources that may assist the student in their housing search. 


Short-Term Emergency Housing Program

provides undergraduate and graduate students with temporary housing if they are experiencing housing displacement or homelessness. Our goal is to ensure our students' safety and provide them with adequate time to acquire permanent and secure housing. Placement is subject to space availability and individual student circumstances.

When to Seek Emergency Housing

If you are:

  • Unhoused due to extenuating circumstances
  • At high risk of homelessness or eviction
  • Displaced due to unsafe living conditions
  • Couch surfing
  • Living in your car
  • Living on the street

Emergency Housing Eligibility

You are eligible if you are a currently enrolled UCR undergraduate or graduate student, who is at least enrolled as a part-time student for the current term. Priority will be given to full-time students.

Please note: 

We are only able to provide short term emergency housing depending on availability. 

How to Request/Get Emergency Housing

Step 1. To Request  Housing Navigation and Emergency Housing please fill out our self-referral form here and only select "Emergency Housing Support- Basic Needs". Your referral will be submitted to be reviewed.

Step 2. After referral is accepted, an email will be sent to schedule an appointment with the Housing Specialist for a meeting via zoom. 

Step 3. Meeting will be conducted and next steps will be determined. 



For immediate assistance view our Basic Needs Resource Guide for other resources on and off campus. 

Assistance is now available

Housing Resources

Marketing/ Website Slide Deck by BasicNeedsDeparment