CalFresh provides qualifying students with up to $250 a month to buy healthy, nutritious foods. It’s a federally mandated, state-supervised, and county-operated government entitlement program that provides monthly food benefits to qualified Highlanders. These benefits can be used at various local grocery and convenience stores, most farmers markets, Scotty's convenience store located at the Highlander Union Building (HUB), Market at Glen Mor, and now online.

When to Seek Funds from CalFresh

If you are part of a low-income household and need help purchasing the food you need to maintain adequate nutritional levels.


Additional CalFresh Perks

Learn more here on how else you can save with CalFresh!


Upcoming Events


How to Seek Funds from CalFresh

Get help with filling out the CalFresh application: 

Step 1- Complete the CalFresh Prescreening Form.

Step 2- Make an appointment with a CalFresh Intern here.


You can also apply on your own online.

Additional Information

  • All appointments with a CalFresh intern are held via zoom and are 30 minutes long.
  • Please make sure you are in a quiet space where you are able to focus and follow along.
  • If you are no longer able to commit to your appointment, please cancel to allow the opportunity for another student. 
  • Walk In Hours coming soon!

*Walk In Hours*

Monday 11am-4pm

Tuesday 1030am-12pm

Wednesday 1230pm-4pm

Thursday 1030am-12pm

Friday 1130am-2pm

CalFresh Eligibility

Many UCR students are eligible for benefits.

As a general guide, students MUST meet ALL these requirements:
  • U.S. Citizen or Lawful Residency
  • 18-49 years old
  • Enrolled at least half time in an accredited school
As well as at least ONE of the following ○:
  • Receive Cal Grant A or B
    • and be 25 years of age or younger
    • and be currently unmarried
    • and themselves/parents have an income less than 50,000 when they applied for the Cal Grant
    • work 20 hours a week
    • have approval for state/federal work study
    • have parental control over a 6-year-old
      • and must at least be enrolled halftime
      • be a single parent of a 12-year-old or younger
        • and be enrolled full time
        • receive CalWorks
Documents you may be asked for:
  • Proof of enrollment
  • Proof of income (paystubs)
  • Proof of financial aid (obtained from your Student Aid Report on FAFSA)
  • Legal identification (driver’s license, CA ID card, passport)
  • Proof of rent paid

Eligibility is not determined at the time of application, nor can it be determined by the CalFresh Interns.

CF Interns 22-23

CalFresh Interns

Trained student peers, called CalFresh Interns, can help you navigate the application process and support you in gathering your necessary documentation that may be required. Please keep in mind that CalFresh Interns do not determine if you are approved or denied for CalFresh benefits. For any quick CalFresh questions, please email with subject line "CalFresh".