CalFresh provides qualifying students with up to $204 a month to buy healthy, nutritious foods. It’s a federally mandated, state-supervised, and county-operated government entitlement program that provides monthly food benefits to qualified Highlanders. These benefits can be used at various local grocery and convenience stores, most farmers markets, Scotty's convenience store located at the Highlander Union Building (HUB) and now online.
When to Seek Funds from CalFresh
If you are part of a low-income household and need help purchasing the food you need to maintain adequate nutritional levels.
Many UCR students are eligible for benefits.
As a general guide, students MUST meet ALL these requirements:
- U.S. Citizen or Lawful Residency
- 18-49 years old
- Enrolled at least half time in an accredited school
As well as at least ONE of the following ○:
- Receive Cal Grant A or B
- and be 25 years of age or younger
- and be currently unmarried
- and themselves/parents have an income less than 50,000 when they applied for the Cal Grant
- work 20 hours a week
- have approval for state/federal work study
- have parental control over a 6-year-old
- and must at least be enrolled halftime
- be a single parent of a 12-year-old or younger
- and be enrolled full time
- receive CalWorks
- participate in Puente Project, Guardian Scholars
Documents you may be asked for:
- Proof of enrollment
- Proof of income (paystubs)
- Proof of financial aid (obtained from your Student Aid Report on FAFSA)
- Legal identification (driver’s license, CA ID card, passport)
- Proof of rent paid
Eligibility is not determined at the time of application, nor can it be determined by the CalFresh Ambassadors.
Trained student peers, called the CalFresh Interns, can help you navigate the application process and support you in gathering your necessary documentation that may be required. (Eligibility will be determined by county technicians after your application is reviewed.) If you have questions or would like one-on-one assistance, please email email@example.com or fill out our pre-screening form.